Welcome to Team CrossFit Academy
Welcome to Team CrossFit Academy. We are one of the original three CrossFit Affiliates in the greater LA County that have been involved for quite some time. Our friend, Andy Petranek is the 8th Affiliate. We are the 16th official Affiliate, and Mike Latch secured the 20th Affiliate spot. There are now 10,000+ CrossFit Affiliates worldwide. Needless to say, we care to deliver world-class coaching and have done so with thousands of clients, friends, family members, and people just like you. All beginners, intermediates, and advanced athletes and fitness enthusiasts are welcome at Team CrossFit Academy. Do not be afraid. Our expectations are only that you are willing to learn and be coached.
The Academy has purposely been developed to operate as a school similar to that of a martial arts academy. You’ll begin in our Fundamentals Course where you will learn, train, and make excellent progress in a short matter of time. We understand that every person entering the Academy has different goals, so we also offer one-on-one personal assessment and athletic program design as an option to our group classes. Upon successful completion of our Fundamentals Course you’ll enter into one of our group Fitness classes. From here, based on both your abilities and goals, you’ll have many opportunities to earn positions in different level classes. We are one of the only CrossFit Affiliates that offers such a diverse offering of tiered and leveled classes. We understand that in order to get the best results you need a training program that matches your needs. Some examples of these classes are Fitness, Performance, Women’s Competition, CrossFit Football-Amateur and Collegiate, Starting Strength, and Wendler 5-3-1. We also have a year-round competitive USA Weightlifting Team. All classes and options are available to Academy members that qualify for each program.
Lastly, what you’ll need to know is that the majority of our programming is a focused and well-balanced approach to strength and conditioning. Our Fitness classes employ basic strength exercises such as the Back Squat, the Front Squat, the Deadlift, the Press, and the Power Clean. We also run, row, pedal on the Airdyne, do push-ups and pull-ups. We train with intention and purpose; however, the inclusion of the barbell is the cornerstone of the Academy’s training. We care to get our Fitness classes stronger over time, so that they can increase their work capacity over a long, sustainable, and enjoyable time-frame. You’ll enjoy your time spent learning at Team CrossFit Academy and definitely come away with a stronger sense of accomplishment than before.
New To CrossFit
On one Saturday a month from 10:00am-11:30am we host a fun opportunity for you and your friends to experience all that Team CrossFit Academy has to offer. We begin with a brief gathering and welcoming to all of the free participants. We deliver an overview about CrossFit and the Affiliate model. We define fitness and uncover the “10 General Physical Skills.” We answer basic questions regarding how our Affiliate can help people achieve all sorts of goals. After about twenty minutes of discussion we head out for general warm-up in preparation for a voluntary workout session. This basic workout was designed by the coaches to help uncover both strengths and weaknesses in the participants. Each participant will be challenged differently, but most walk away having enough, but wanting to know more. Upon completion of the workout we close with a small Q and A session about registering for the following month’s Fundamentals Course. Click HERE for dates of all the upcoming Open Houses.
Our Next Open House
In order to train with Team CrossFit Academy, new members must display basic competencies. This is generally accomplished by completing our Fundamentals program. (However, experienced CrossFitters are welcome to test out of this requirement. Just call for details.) This dedicated point of entry is designed to teach the basic strength and conditioning exercises used in our programming. In addition to the physical training, we introduce the Paleo nutrition model, discuss cortisol, the dangers of grain and gluten consumption, and teach how to properly goal set to achieve success.
The Regular Group Fundamentals program begins the first week of each month and meets three times per week:
Team 1 meets Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 7am-8am.
Team 2 meets Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 6pm-7pm.
We also offer PRIVATE and ACCELERATED Fundamentals Courses which are designed to accommodate your individual schedule and personal needs.
The Next Fundamentals
Are you coming from another CrossFit Affiliate? Have you been in a consistent strength and conditioning program for more than three years? No problem. You can by-pass our mandatory Fundamentals Course by passing our “Test-In” exam. This is a 1.5 hours where you can display your competency and prove your ability to join the Academy. The cost of the Test-In exam is $50. You’ll need to display your athleticism in six-eight barbell exercises, as well as pass a few conditioning assessments. All the standards are basic standards and there is nothing complex about them. Please call 626-437-8739 to set-up your “Test-In” now…
Team CrossFit Academy prides itself at recognizing the significant differences in programs available for different goals. One size does NOT fit all. With that in mind, the best results, in the fastest time will come from one-on-one personal assessment and athletic program design. For those that enjoy the group environment we offer Fitness, Performance, Valkyries, CrossFit Football, Starting Strength, Wendler 5-3-1, and a sanctioned USA Weightlifting Team. In addition to our indoor programs we are also proud to offer an outdoor year-round competitive Arrogant Bastard Trail Racing Team. No other CrossFit Affiliate in the greater LA County offers as extensive a selection as Team CrossFit Academy.
One-On-One Personal Coaching
One-on-one personal assessment and athletic program design is where all the best success lies. There are no two ways about it. Your goals matter…and if they really do, then a personal assessment, a personal nutrition plan, and a personal training plan are the way to go. No group class or team program can match the power and attention to detail that one-on-one coaching can provide. You’ll have a specific coach attached to you each and every step of the way…detailing each and every aspect of your training, nutrition, and recovery. Programs can last months, quarters, or years depending on your specific goals and timelines. Programs are normally sold in packages of sessions ranging from 10-30 sessions; however, customizable packages are available.
Our fitness classes are where everyone goes after successfully graduating the Fundamentals Course. This is where you can continue to learn about strength training, appropriate metabolic conditioning, and where you can have a lot of fun. This is the place to learn how to balance your fitness with your busy life. This is where we’ll help you improve your understanding and awareness as to what works best for you. We’ll teach you every step of the way. The overall goal is to help clients “see” the big picture with regards to health, fitness, training, and testing
Our performance team is a chance for you to improve your fitness level. Clients that meet basic criteria enter here with a plan in place and a direction. They are well-balanced athletes and have goals that require a little more attention to detail. The general group fitness classes are not specific enough for these clients to meet their needs as they take the “sport of fitness” more seriously. This program will take the sets, reps, rest, exercise selection, and conditioning training to a different level and allow individual experimentation. This is where most of our more competitive clients will spend time on the areas in which they need more focused training. They will definitely learn the difference between training and testing, as well as develop a sense of personal awareness. They will also learn a more improved sense of their internal “gears” and learn how to balance their training and recovery for a more sustainable life as a competitor in the sport. Additional equipment will need to be purchased in order to lift on this program.
This program is open only to Academy females who have sufficed to meet intermediate criteria. These females are very close to a full-time fitness athlete. Based on the “Sport of Fitness” and its demands both in qualifying for and testing within, we at Team CrossFit Academy believe that the demands for females and males in the sport are different; therefore, the training cycles create a heavier emphasis on upper body relative strength work and power due to those being the most common deficiencies our coaches see in competitive female fitness athletes. These cycles last eleven weeks long with a one week deload following; however, most of the females on the team can create a more detailed approach depending on their individual schedule of events. Additional equipment will need to be purchased in order to lift on this program.
“We use multi-plane compound movements to simulate the demands placed on an athlete during sport. Football, like most field sports, is a game of seconds and inches. CrossFit Football knows the demands placed on players during the game and the distances they will have to travel. With this in mind, we can replicate the stresses and situations a player will face on the field. By combining high intensity movements with a comprehensive strength and speed program, the result is a training program that is unparalleled in the industry.
How do we know CrossFit Football’s programming works? Because it has been designed by NFL players and some of the top coaches in the world. Not only have top athletes created it, but also it has been used to compete at the highest levels of professional sports. The utility of this program is not theoretical; this program was not merely designed by someone that thinks it might work, but by athletes and coaches that have dominated at the highest levels of competitive athletics.
The CrossFit Football program is designed to work for all players regardless of age or experience. The loads, distances, times, intensity, and programming can be scaled, and the program has been designed to meet the needs of athletes at all levels of training advancement.
Every athlete needs to be strong in mind, heart and body. He needs to be fast and explosive. He needs to be able to perform when tired and exhausted. This applies to NFL players, Olympic athletes the same as it applies to Pop Warner and 40-year-old athlete competing in the garage.
CrossFit Football meets these needs, for all athletes and competitors.” –J. Welbourn, Owner CrossFit Football and Power Athlete HQ
Jim Wendler’s 5-3-1
One mesocycle lasts 16 workouts, or a little over 5 weeks.
Each mesocycle has 4 microcycles or “waves”.
Wave 1. Warmup, 75%x5, 80%x5, 85%x5
Wave 2. Warmup, 80%x3, 85%x3, 90%x3
Wave 3. Warmup, 75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1
Wave 4. (deload) – 60%x5, 65%x5, 70%x5
This is our basic liner progression strength training barbell program created by Mark Rippetoe. We focus almost exclusively on the squat, bench press, deadlift, press, power clean, and a whole host of accessory exercises. Additional equipment will need to be purchased in order to lift on this program.
Team CrossFit Academy offers a year-round sanctioned USAW team that practices six days a week in preparation for the physical and emotional demands of the sport of weightlifting. Our Class 3, 2, and 1 lifters prepare for the sport with 5, 6, 8, and 12 week cycles of training geared toward competition. We use classic lifts such as back squats, front squats, snatches cleans, and jerks in compliment with a whole host of pulls, block work, balances, and push-presses. The team may choose to incorporate two conditioning sessions per week in addition to their lifting. The Academy hosts three competitive weightlifting meets per year as well as qualifies lifters for regional, national, Pan-American, and World level meets. Basic competency is a requirement to join the team. This is usually achieved by a few months of regular training at the Academy in the Fitness classes. Additional equipment and national registration will need to be purchased in order to lift with the Team.
Subject to qualifying discount*
$2,160 if paid in full
3 times per week
**Access to ALL Specialty Teams including USAW Weightlifting and Arrogant Bastards
Tour The Facility
- OPT-CCP Courses completed: Lifestyle Coaching, Nutrition, Exercise Physiology Assessment, Program Design, and Business Systems (2012-2014)
- 16th Official CrossFit Affiliate Owner
- CFHQ Head Trainer At Level 1 Certifications (14 Times)
- CFHQ Intern At Level 2 Certifications (2 Times)
- CF Affiliates Gathering (2007, 2008, 2009)
- CF Games Competitor (2007)
- CF Games Coach (2009-Team, 2012-Donna Walters, 5th Place, 2013-Donna Walters, 2nd Place)
- So. Cal. Regional Judge (2009)
- CF Level 1 Instructor (Original Level 3)
- CF Olympic Weightlifting Certification (4 Times) + Host Site for Mike Burgener
- CF Endurance Certification (3 Times) + Host Site for CFE Staff
- CF Kids Certification (3 Times)
- CF/Robb Wolf’s Nutrition Seminar and Paleo Solution Seminar Host (2 Times)
- CF Football Certification and Host Site (2 Times)
- CF Football: Power Athlete Competition Host Site (2013)
- Whole 9′s Official Nutrition Partner (2011-Present)
- Whole 9′s “Whole 30 Foundations of Nutrition” Host Site (2012-Present)
- Whole 9′s “Whole Athlete” Host Site (2014)
- Mathieu Lalonde’s “Basics of Nutrition” Seminar (2011)
- Kelly Starett’s Chasing Performance Seminar (2 Times)
- Network Fitness: Jeff Alexander’s Trigger Point Seminar (4 Times)
- Network Fitness: Level 1-4 Host Site (2014)
- Attendant: Ancestral Health Symposium (2011, 2012)
- USA Weightlifting Club Coach (2009-Present)
- Sanctioned USA Weightlifting Team Coach (2009-Present)
- Sanctioned USA Weightlifting Athlete Coach (9 total National/American/Pan-American/World Medals)
- Sanctioned USAW Referee (2011-Present)
- Host Site Director USAW Meet (14 Times)
- Host Site: Catalyst Athletics Weightlifting Level 1 Instructors Course
- Host Site: Mark Rippetoe’s Starting Strength Barbell Certification (2013, 2014)
- Head Strength And Conditioning Coach, Monrovia Varsity Football (2010-2012)
- Recipient: 2010, 2011, and 2012 CIF-SS Mid-Valley Division Championship Rings
- Head Strength And Conditioning Coach, Monrovia Varsity, JV Soccer (2007-2011)
- Head Strength And Conditioning Coach, Monrovia Varsity, JV Wrestling (2010-2011)
- CIF Head Cross Country Coach, Monrovia High School (2011, 2012) CIF Qualifiers
- CIF Assistant Cross Country Coach, LaSalle High School (2003-2007) State Qualifiers
- Head Coach: Sponsored Arrogant Bastards Trail Racing Team (2011-Present)
- Head Coach: 200 Mile RAGNAR Team Captain (2009-2011; 15 Teams)
- Mt. Wilson Trail Race Committee Member (2003-2014)
- Mt. Wilson Trail Race: Official Training Program Director (2003-2014)
- Mt. Disappointment 50k/50 Mile Checkpoint Captain (2007-2013)
- Race Director: The Bastard 50k (2011-Present)
- Race Director: Angeles Forest 50k/25k (2014)
- Race Director: KutThroat Adventure Race (2014)
- Recipient: Distinguished Service Award, DEA Maltz Challenge Host Site (2008-2014)
- Recipient: Distinguished Service Award, Arcadia Fire Department Annual Combat Firefighter Fitness Challenge Host Site (2007-2011)
- Recipient: Distinguished Service Award, Monrovia Unified School District, Assistant Director, Employee Wellness Program (2007-2011)
- Recipient: Distinguished Service Award, LA County Mayor Villaraigosa’s Office, 31 Heroes (2011)
- Recipient: California State Board Of Education, Golden Apple Award (2011)
- Recipient: Bid/Site Winner for the 2012 American Masters Weightlifting Competition.
- Recipient: Bid/Site Winner for the 2015 National Masters Weightlifting Championships.
50 is the new 30!
Eight years ago, I was a very successful corporate executive in the insurance industry. I was also morbidly obese with a long standing love for nicotine and alcohol. Then I found TEAM CrossFit Academy and my business partner, Coach LeClair, and my life took on a meaning and purposefulness that had always been missing.
Today my career and passion are focused on helping others unleash their own potential to achieve their own personal goals and fulfillment. I do this by devoting myself to coaching, educating and hopefully inspiring the members of our community, most particularly those reinventing themselves!
- 2014-2006 Multiple 5k & 10k races
- 2013 Bastard 50k – 1st Place Team, Time Bracket
- 2013 Goruck Challenge – Participant
- 2013-2009 Mt. Wilson Trail Race
- 2013-2007 Great Race of Agoura
- 2013-2006 Camp Pendleton 10k Mud Runs – 1st Pl. Team Women’s B&U
- 2012 Mt. Baldy Run to the Top
- 2011 Pan-American Masters Championships Gold Medalist
- 2011 USAW American Masters Weightlifting Gold Medalist
- 2010 USAW National Masters Championship Gold Medalist
- 2010 RAGNAR 200 mile Team Relay Races – Team Captain
- 2010 USAW Nomad Open Weightlifting
- 2010 USAW TCA Fall Opener
- 2010-2009 Pasadena Half Marathon
- 2009 High Desert 50k Ultra Marathon
- 2009 Golden Hills Trail Marathon
- 2009 Buddy Buddies
- 2009 USAW NLP Developmental Meet
- 2009 Montana-de-Oro 25k Trail Race
- 2009 Los Gatos Jungle Run Half Marathon
- 2008 PCTR 18k Trail Race – Santa Monica Mountains
- 2008 Official Navy Seal Obstacle Course Participant
- 2007 Wild Miles 179 mile Team Relay
- 2007 AIDS Ride, Bicycle 575 miles from SF to LA
- OPT CCP Program Design – In Process
- OPT CCP Assessment Course
- Alexander Method of SMR – Level 2, 3, 4 Courses
- National Academy of Sports Medicine – Certified Personal Trainer
- CrossFit Level 1 Certified Instructor
- USA Weightlifting Club Coach & Masters Cert
- CrossFit Olympic Lifting Instructors Cert
- CrossFit Nutrition Certification
- CrossFit Endurance Certification
- Concept 2, Indoor Rowing Instructor Course
- Canyoneering Levels I, II, III Courses
- Bachelors of Science Information Technology Degree
It is NEVER too late to reinvent ourselves and we are NEVER too old to change!
- CrossFit Level 1 Certified
- CrossFit Olympic Weightlifting Certified
- CrossFit Nutrition Certified
- USAW Club Coach
- Current Pursuit: Associates Degree-Nursing
•2011 & 2010 RAGNAR 200 mile Team Relay Co-Captain
•2011 Great Race of Agoura 10k Trail Race
•2011 Camp Pendleton 10k Mud Runs –Women’s B&U 1st Pl.
2010 & 2009 CrossFit Games Affiliate Cup Team Member
2010 USAW TCA Fall Opener
•2009 USAW NLP Developmental Meet
•2007 Wild Miles 179 mile Team Relay
- USAW Level 1 Sports Performance Coach
- Aasgaard’s Starting Strength Certificate of Attendance
- Alexander Method of SMR Level 3 & 4 Courses
- Crossfit Olympic Weightlifting Certificate of Completion
“All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare.” Baruch Spinoza
- CrossFit Level One Instructor (October 2009)
- CrossFit Basic Barbell (November 2009)
- CrossFit Nutrition (September 2009)
- CrossFit Mobility and Recovery (September 2009)
- University of Northern Iowa Strength and Conditioning Internship (2001)
- Martial Arts Instructor: Cedar Valley Pro-Fitness and Martial Arts (2000-2002)
- 1-1 Professional MMA Record
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Blue Belt: New Breed Academy, BJJ Revolution Team (2004)
- 2nd Degree Black Belt, Tae Kwon Do: Cedar Valley Pro-Fitness and Martial Arts (December 2001)
- 1st place Best of the West Submission Grappling Championships (May 2008)
- 3rd place World Grappling Games- US Team Trials Qualifier (May 2008)
- 1st place Bakersfield Invitational (Gi) (May 2008)
- 2nd place Bakersfield Invitational (No Gi) (May 2008)
- 3rd place 1st World No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu Championships
- 3rd place US Grappling- No Limits Tournament (December 2007)
- Semi- finalist OTM Submission Grappling Tournament (July 2007)
- Defeated Yuji Miyazaki at King of Fights X (MMA), Okinawa Japan via rear-naked choke in the second round (July 2006)
- 2nd place Pan Asian Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Tournament (November 2005)
- Finalist Taiwan Full Contact Fighting: Eight Man Open Weight Tournament (MMA) (October 2005)
- 1st place No Limits Submission Grappling Tournament (April 2005)
- Competed in numerous amateur kickboxing and boxing events