Welcome to Team CrossFit Academy
Welcome to Team CrossFit Academy. We are one of the original three CrossFit Affiliates in the greater LA County. We care to deliver world-class coaching and have done so with thousands of clients, friends, family members, and people just like you. All beginners, intermediates, and advanced athletes and fitness enthusiasts are welcome at Team CrossFit Academy. Do not be afraid. Our expectations are only that you are willing to learn and be coached.
The Academy has purposely been developed to operate as a school similar to that of a martial arts academy. You’ll begin in our Fundamentals Course where you will learn, train, and make excellent progress in a short matter of time. We understand that every person entering the Academy has different goals, so we also offer one-on-one personal assessment and athletic program design as an option to our group classes. Upon successful completion of our Fundamentals Course you’ll enter into one of our group Fitness classes. From here, based on both your abilities and goals, you’ll have many opportunities to earn positions in different level classes. We are one of the only CrossFit Affiliates that offers such a diverse offering of tiered and leveled classes. We understand that in order to get the best results you need a training program that matches your needs. Some examples of these classes are Fitness, Performance, Women’s Competition, CrossFit Football-Amateur and Collegiate, OPEX (formerly OPT), Starting Strength, and Wendler 5-3-1. We also have a year-round competitive USA Weightlifting Team. All classes and options are available to Academy members that qualify for each program.
Lastly, what you’ll need to know is that the majority of our programming is a focused and well-balanced approach to strength and conditioning. Our Fitness classes employ basic strength exercises such as the Back Squat, the Front Squat, the Deadlift, the Press, and the Power Clean. We also run, row, pedal on the Airdyne, do push-ups and pull-ups. We train with intention and purpose; however, the inclusion of the barbell is the cornerstone of the Academy’s training. We care to get our Fitness classes stronger over time, so that they can increase their work capacity over a long, sustainable, and enjoyable time-frame. You’ll enjoy your time spent learning at Team CrossFit Academy and definitely come away with a stronger sense of accomplishment than before.
New To CrossFit
Welcome to Team CrossFIt Academy…it’s very easy to get started on your journey here. Once you have made the decision to start your training with us, please give us a call at 626-437-8739 to schedule your free and private INTRO session. Here’s what you’ll need to know about that session:
1. Your INTRO session can be scheduled at a time that best fits your schedule. It usually lasts around an hour. You may bring friends and family with you as well.
2. Your INTRO session begins with a brief welcoming and tour of our training facility.
3. Your INTRO session will move into our classroom, and we’ll deliver an overview of what Team CrossFit Academy is, what we do, what makes our training programs successful, and explain all our programs available for you. We’ll define fitness and uncover the “10 General Physical Skills.” We’ll take the time to answer basic questions regarding how our Affiliate can help you achieve all your goals.
4. If interested, your INTRO session will then move into a general warm-up for a voluntary fitness assessment/workout. This allows you to get a taste of a classic CrossFit style training session. This basic workout was designed by the coaches to help uncover both strengths and weaknesses in all participants.
5. Upon completion of the workout we close with a small Q and A session about all of the available training and membership options here at Team CrossFit Academy including, but not limited to personal training, USA Weightlifting, OPEX (formerly OPT), and CrossFit Football. We are also always happy to answer questions regarding nutrition, goals and assessment, and athletic development during this time.
At Team CrossFit Academy, we pride ourselves on setting a standard of excellence with respect to how we teach and coach. As a licensed CrossFit affiliate, we guarantee an experience that is second-to-none. There is not another affiliate in the San Gabriel Valley that offers as comprehensive of a learning opportunity at the onset of training as we offer here at TCA. Our Fundamentals curriculum will prepare you for entry into the pursuit of fitness, strength, and conditioning. Our dedicated point of entry creates an opportunity for learning and development before committing to a membership option at Team CrossFit Academy.
Our Fundamentals course is instructed in a private 1-on-1 setting (scheduled by you at times that work best for you), which has been proven to be the best and most effective way for coaches to teach and students to learn. Our approach allows sufficient time to properly assess each person’s needs and provide the personalized feedback required for growth and development. The Fundamentals course serves as a platform for both beginners and brand new CrossFit athletes to develop their awareness and understanding of what, how, and why we choose to train the way we do at Team CrossFit Academy. Rather than grouping all beginners or those new to CrossFit directly into group classes and “scaling” on the fly, we choose to respect our clients on a deeper level and teach them before we test and train them. This ensures our clients’ safety and our effectiveness as a CrossFit gym.
Our ten (10) session Fundamentals course curriculum includes discussions on determining personal values, goal setting strategies, training volume and intensity, nutrition basics, sleep and stress management, and an in-depth look into personal accountability. In addition to the topics of discussion listed above, you will be taught how to properly execute and set a 5 rep max in eight fundamental barbell movements:
Close-grip bench press
Hang power snatch
Hang power clean
In conjunction with the above listed barbell movements, you will be challenged by conditioning sessions during which you will experience the typical “CrossFit” style workouts utilizing exercises such as push-ups, pull-ups, box jumps, running, rowing, Airdyne repeats, dips, kettlebell swings, and sit-ups. Our goal is to ensure that you begin your journey into CrossFit at TCA knowing how to move correctly and, more importantly, knowing why moving correctly is vital to your success and longevity in this sport. Upon successful completion of the Fundamentals course you, along with your coach will determine the best step for your progression. You may choose more 1-on-1 sessions or proceed with any of our numerous membership options.
Ready to take the next step? Here’s how you start:
Step 1: Call 626-437-8739 to schedule your INTRO. The INTRO session is a private tour of the facility, a chance to meet one of our coaches and ask questions, voluntary assessment/workout, and registration for Fundamentals
Step 2: Attend your INTRO session and register for Fundamentals
Step 3: Schedule your Fundamentals course dates with your personal coach at hours that work best for you and start learning about and improving your fitness from day 1.
Step 4: Graduate the Fundamentals course and choose your next step: 1-on-1 personal coaching, 1, 6, or 12 month training memberships, with or without contracted commitments.
Are you coming from another CrossFit Affiliate? Have you been in a consistent strength and conditioning program for more than three years? No problem. You can by-pass our mandatory Fundamentals Course by passing our “Test-In”. This is a single training session where you can display your competency and prove your ability to join the Academy and start training immediately. You’ll need to simply display your athleticism in six-eight barbell exercises, as well as pass a few conditioning assessments. All the standards are BASIC standards and there is nothing complex about them. Please call 626-437-8739 to set-up your “Test-In” now…
Team CrossFit Academy prides itself at recognizing the significant differences in programs available for different goals. One size does NOT fit all. With that in mind, the best results, in the fastest time will come from one-on-one personal assessment and athletic program design. For those that enjoy the group environment we offer Fitness, Performance, Valkyries, CrossFit Football, Starting Strength, Wendler 5-3-1, and a sanctioned USA Weightlifting Team. In addition to our indoor programs we are also proud to offer an outdoor year-round competitive Arrogant Bastard Trail Racing Team. No other CrossFit Affiliate in the greater LA County offers as extensive a selection as Team CrossFit Academy.
One-On-One Personal Coaching
One-on-one personal assessment and athletic program design is where all the best success lies. There are no two ways about it. Your goals matter…and if they really do, then a personal assessment, a personal nutrition plan, and a personal training plan are the way to go. No group class or team program can match the power and attention to detail that one-on-one coaching can provide. You’ll have a specific coach attached to you each and every step of the way…detailing each and every aspect of your training, nutrition, and recovery. Programs can last months, quarters, or years depending on your specific goals and timelines. Programs are normally sold in packages of sessions ranging from 10-30 sessions; however, customizable packages are available.
Our fitness classes are where everyone goes after successfully graduating the Fundamentals Course. This is where you can continue to learn about strength training, appropriate metabolic conditioning, and where you can have a lot of fun. This is the place to learn how to balance your fitness with your busy life. This is where we’ll help you improve your understanding and awareness as to what works best for you. We’ll teach you every step of the way. The overall goal is to help clients “see” the big picture with regards to health, fitness, training, and testing…
Our performance team is a chance for you to improve your fitness level. Clients that meet basic criteria enter here with a plan in place and a direction. They are well-balanced athletes and have goals that require a little more attention to detail. The general group fitness classes are not specific enough for these clients to meet their needs as they take the “sport of fitness” more seriously. This program will take the sets, reps, rest, exercise selection, and conditioning training to a different level and allow individual experimentation. This is where most of our more competitive clients will spend time on the areas in which they need more focused training. They will definitely learn the difference between training and testing, as well as develop a sense of personal awareness. They will also learn a more improved sense of their internal “gears” and learn how to balance their training and recovery for a more sustainable life as a competitor in the sport. Additional equipment will need to be purchased in order to lift on this program.
This program is open only to Academy females who have sufficed to meet intermediate criteria. These females are very close to a full-time fitness athlete. Based on the “Sport of Fitness” and its demands both in qualifying for and testing within, we at Team CrossFit Academy believe that the demands for females and males in the sport are different; therefore, the training cycles create a heavier emphasis on upper body relative strength work and power due to those being the most common deficiencies our coaches see in competitive female fitness athletes. These cycles last eleven weeks long with a one week deload following; however, most of the females on the team can create a more detailed approach depending on their individual schedule of events. Additional equipment will need to be purchased in order to lift on this program.
“We use multi-plane compound movements to simulate the demands placed on an athlete during sport. Football, like most field sports, is a game of seconds and inches. CrossFit Football knows the demands placed on players during the game and the distances they will have to travel. With this in mind, we can replicate the stresses and situations a player will face on the field. By combining high intensity movements with a comprehensive strength and speed program, the result is a training program that is unparalleled in the industry.
How do we know CrossFit Football’s programming works? Because it has been designed by NFL players and some of the top coaches in the world. Not only have top athletes created it, but also it has been used to compete at the highest levels of professional sports. The utility of this program is not theoretical; this program was not merely designed by someone that thinks it might work, but by athletes and coaches that have dominated at the highest levels of competitive athletics.
The CrossFit Football program is designed to work for all players regardless of age or experience. The loads, distances, times, intensity, and programming can be scaled, and the program has been designed to meet the needs of athletes at all levels of training advancement.
Every athlete needs to be strong in mind, heart and body. He needs to be fast and explosive. He needs to be able to perform when tired and exhausted. This applies to NFL players, Olympic athletes the same as it applies to Pop Warner and 40-year-old athlete competing in the garage.
CrossFit Football meets these needs, for all athletes and competitors.” –J. Welbourn, Owner CrossFit Football and Power Athlete HQ
Jim Wendler’s 5-3-1
One mesocycle lasts 16 workouts, or a little over 5 weeks.
Each mesocycle has 4 microcycles or “waves”.
Wave 1. Warmup, 75%x5, 80%x5, 85%x5
Wave 2. Warmup, 80%x3, 85%x3, 90%x3
Wave 3. Warmup, 75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1
Wave 4. (deload) – 60%x5, 65%x5, 70%x5
This is our basic liner progression strength training barbell program created by Mark Rippetoe. We focus almost exclusively on the squat, bench press, deadlift, press, power clean, and a whole host of accessory exercises. Additional equipment will need to be purchased in order to lift on this program.
Team CrossFit Academy offers a year-round sanctioned USAW team that practices six days a week in preparation for the physical and emotional demands of the sport of weightlifting. Our Class 3, 2, and 1 lifters prepare for the sport with 5, 6, 8, and 12 week cycles of training geared toward competition. We use classic lifts such as back squats, front squats, snatches cleans, and jerks in compliment with a whole host of pulls, block work, balances, and push-presses. The team may choose to incorporate two conditioning sessions per week in addition to their lifting. The Academy hosts three competitive weightlifting meets per year as well as qualifies lifters for regional, national, Pan-American, and World level meets. Basic competency is a requirement to join the team. This is usually achieved by a few months of regular training at the Academy in the Fitness classes. Additional equipment and national registration will need to be purchased in order to lift with the Team.
Tour The Facility
- OPT-CCP Courses completed: Lifestyle Coaching, Nutrition, Exercise Physiology Assessment, Program Design, and Business Systems (2012-2014)
- 16th Official CrossFit Affiliate Owner
- CFHQ Head Trainer At Level 1 Certifications (14 Times)
- CFHQ Intern At Level 2 Certifications (2 Times)
- CF Affiliates Gathering (2007, 2008, 2009)
- CF Games Competitor (2007)
- CF Games Coach (2009-Team, 2012-Donna Walters, 5th Place, 2013-Donna Walters, 2nd Place)
- So. Cal. Regional Judge (2009)
- CF Level 1 Instructor (Original Level 3)
- CF Olympic Weightlifting Certification (4 Times) + Host Site for Mike Burgener
- CF Endurance Certification (3 Times) + Host Site for CFE Staff
- CF Kids Certification (3 Times)
- CF/Robb Wolf’s Nutrition Seminar and Paleo Solution Seminar Host (2 Times)
- CF Football Certification and Host Site (2 Times)
- CF Football: Power Athlete Competition Host Site (2013)
- Whole 9′s Official Nutrition Partner (2011-Present)
- Whole 9′s “Whole 30 Foundations of Nutrition” Host Site (2012-Present)
- Whole 9′s “Whole Athlete” Host Site (2014)
- Mathieu Lalonde’s “Basics of Nutrition” Seminar (2011)
- Kelly Starett’s Chasing Performance Seminar (2 Times)
- Network Fitness: Jeff Alexander’s Trigger Point Seminar (4 Times)
- Network Fitness: Level 1-4 Host Site (2014)
- Attendant: Ancestral Health Symposium (2011, 2012)
- USA Weightlifting Club Coach (2009-Present)
- Sanctioned USA Weightlifting Team Coach (2009-Present)
- Sanctioned USA Weightlifting Athlete Coach (9 total National/American/Pan-American/World Medals)
- Sanctioned USAW Referee (2011-Present)
- Host Site Director USAW Meet (14 Times)
- Host Site: Catalyst Athletics Weightlifting Level 1 Instructors Course
- Host Site: Mark Rippetoe’s Starting Strength Barbell Certification (2013, 2014)
- Head Strength And Conditioning Coach, Monrovia Varsity Football (2010-2012)
- Recipient: 2010, 2011, and 2012 CIF-SS Mid-Valley Division Championship Rings
- Head Strength And Conditioning Coach, Monrovia Varsity, JV Soccer (2007-2011)
- Head Strength And Conditioning Coach, Monrovia Varsity, JV Wrestling (2010-2011)
- CIF Head Cross Country Coach, Monrovia High School (2011, 2012) CIF Qualifiers
- CIF Assistant Cross Country Coach, LaSalle High School (2003-2007) State Qualifiers
- Head Coach: Sponsored Arrogant Bastards Trail Racing Team (2011-Present)
- Head Coach: 200 Mile RAGNAR Team Captain (2009-2011; 15 Teams)
- Mt. Wilson Trail Race Committee Member (2003-2014)
- Mt. Wilson Trail Race: Official Training Program Director (2003-2014)
- Mt. Disappointment 50k/50 Mile Checkpoint Captain (2007-2013)
- Race Director: The Bastard 50k (2011-Present)
- Race Director: Angeles Forest 50k/25k (2014)
- Race Director: KutThroat Adventure Race (2014)
- Recipient: Distinguished Service Award, DEA Maltz Challenge Host Site (2008-2014)
- Recipient: Distinguished Service Award, Arcadia Fire Department Annual Combat Firefighter Fitness Challenge Host Site (2007-2011)
- Recipient: Distinguished Service Award, Monrovia Unified School District, Assistant Director, Employee Wellness Program (2007-2011)
- Recipient: Distinguished Service Award, LA County Mayor Villaraigosa’s Office, 31 Heroes (2011)
- Recipient: California State Board Of Education, Golden Apple Award (2011)
- Recipient: Bid/Site Winner for the 2012 American Masters Weightlifting Competition.
- Recipient: Bid/Site Winner for the 2015 National Masters Weightlifting Championships.
- USAW Level 1 Sports Performance Coach
- Aasgaard’s Starting Strength Certificate of Attendance
- Alexander Method of SMR Level 3 & 4 Courses
- Crossfit Olympic Weightlifting Certificate of Completion